According to Ayurveda, our bodies are made up of Five Elements. Part of what makes each body unique is the varying proportions of these elements, which are the building blocks of all matter.
- The element of Earth in our body is solid, heavy, and dense. It is our foundation, and the source of plant and animal life. It is enduring and resistant, and associated with Tamas, the Root Chakra, and Annamaya Kosha.
- Water is the element of all of the liquid flowing through our body. It is those aspects which are adaptable, penetrating, dissolving, mobile, and flowing. And it is associated with the Sacral Chakra and Pranamaya Kosha.
- Fire is the element of transformation in our body. It is hot, powerful, energetic, and creative. It is our digestion, metabolism, and willpower. Fire is associated with Rajas, the Solar Plexus Chakra, and Manomaya Kosha.
- Air in our bodies is most closely associated with our breath. It is lightness, expansiveness, and upward movement. It is irregular and dry. Air is associated with the Heart Chakra and Vijnyanamaya Kosha.
- Ether, or space, is the most subtle of all the elements. It is related to both inner and outer space. Most of our body is made up of space. It is our spirit, our karma, and our evolution. Ether is associated with the Throat, Third Eye, and Crown Chakras, and Anandamaya Kosha.