- Enhances ojas (immunity and vitality)
- Quiets the mind and reduces negative emotions
- Improves concentration
- Improves vision
- Enhances memory
- May reduce symptoms of ADHD
- Awakens kundalini
- Ayurveda: Increases fire and ether and reduces all three doshas
- Chakras: activates the third eye (6) and crown (7) chakras
- Prana Vayus: strengthens Prana
- Langhana/Brahmana: balances heating and cooling
- In a dark room with very little moving air, place a candle or ghee lamp at approximately eye-level. The air should be still so the flame does not move.
- Light the candle, and fix the gaze on the flame (focusing specifically the tip of the candle wick) for 5-10 minutes.
- Try to practice without blinking, but also avoid straining the eyes.
- When you must blink, close the eyes and keep them closed, focusing on the image of the candle behind the eyes. Then, when the eyes have recovered, open them and continue the practice.
- With regular practice, it will become easier and easier not to blink.